Thursday, August 15, 2013

Something Different

One of my favorite things to do in this hobby, is to rescue abused and unloved models from the internet and breath some new life into them.  This often means that I spend several hours hunched over a tub of simple greens scrubbing away with a toothbrush, but I love seeing these models back out onto the tabletop looking good.  I always have my eye out for these types of cheap lots and as a result I often end up with rather random models in my box.  As my abilities have changed and grown over the last year, I've spent the last few months working to prepare for a specific project.  The issue of world hunger and thirst has always struck a particular chord with me and I'm always looking for new avenues to tap to raise funds for those doing the amazing work for people in need, both in the US and worldwide.  With some of the changes and opportunities that have arisen in recent months, I decided to pursue a plan I had developed some time ago.  Utilizing some of the models I have acquired, I will be kit bashing, creating, and painting miniatures to sell, with the intention of raising money for groups fighting hunger and thirst.  I have several organizations I already work with and the majority of the money going towards these organizations.  To kick off and fund an Ork project, I am painting up an old metal Azreal model I ended up with.  The Azreal model itself needed some extra work and while it's drying and getting primed I opted to paint up the vassal carrying Azreal's helm.


This model, while offering no game advantage, is just awesome.  Had I not felt guilty about stealing Azreal's helm bearer I would have pressed him into service with the Eternal Crusade.  With this urge crushed, I got to work.

When I was looking for inspiration to paint this model, I first dropped by the Games Workshop site to see what the 'Eavy Metal team did.  While I usually like what the team does (heavy line highlighting aside), I found this model lackluster and odd.  Now I understand the need to not overshadow Azreal, while still having matching outfits (the Dark Angels are nothing if not snazzy dressers).  But I couldn't understand the bright red/orange wings.  Nothing says target this guy like a shining red target.  Even though the Astartes aren't the most subdued in their color choices I opted for something that felt a little more in line with their chapter.  I gave the wings the same bone coloring I would Deathwing Terminators, so that whoever ends up with this model will feel like they want to actually field this little guy.  The cloak will still end up matching Azrael, but I will be inverting the color choices.  The olive green cowl will match the layered cloak of Azreal.  By giving his cowl a different shade of color, but still keeping it in the green family to match the green armor, I believe it gives a great mini his due attention.  After all, being the guy who gets to chase Azreal across the battlefield with his helmet has to be some sort of honor.  

My biggest concern is the color of the lenses.  While I painted them red, I'm considering a change to blue.  What can't be seen as well in the photo (I need to invest in a new camera), is the shade of the armor.  I worked the armor up from black to dark green, with a subtle highlight.  A few more bits still require attention, like the laurels on the helm.

I'll be posting more about the Azreal project as I work on it and it gets closer to selling.  Thanks for reading and leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment